Today I'm sick. Not horribly sick but sick enough to get rants stuck in my head.
Here are a few requests I ask of any higher ups reading this. Or, if you know any body who could make these requests happen, help me out. Thanks.
1. MobileMe should allow data identifiers in its mail program. It should also allow you to create your own e-mail domain, like Gmail allows you. Or, at least, allow you to send mail from your old e-mail, like Gmail allows you. Is that too hard?
2. The new Mac computers should have a numlock.
3. You shouldn't have to be a student to get an internship. This kills me. I pretty much had to work every summer during school, taking up valuable internship time. Now, I'm out of luck because I graduated and many internships require you be a student. What is up with this? Let's say I find this a tad unfair.
4. Unpaid internships. Kind of like #3, but unless you are worth the experience, do not tell me that I will get repaid in experience for being the equivalent of slave labor. Right now I don't necessarily need the shoddy clips I'd be getting from your publication/startup.
5. TLC. What the heck happened? I get it. Little people are people too. Please stop with these little people shows that in my opinion belittle the whole concept of the show. Giving them attention makes me feel like they are even more of an oddity to the world. They are not. I also understand that raising 12 to 18 children is different from the norm. However, I have absolutely no desire to be a part of those crazy families and their hectic schedules. Please stop. Now.
6. You should be able to confirm appointments through your iPhone's calendar, or, send out event invitations through the event.
7. Canceling great shows. Darn the studio execs who thought Carnivale wasn't worth it. Darn the studio execs who thought Pushing Daisies wasn't worth it. The same goes for Arrested Development. For that matter, darn the people who didn't watch it enough. Darn, darn, darn them all.
I'm sure there are more coming.
After my big rant the other day, I found an app that will allow you to do all the calendaring I thought should be standard. Meet Daylite Touch. Because it's impressive, you must pay a price. A year's worth of service to synchronize your data is $49.00 or you can pay $9.99 a month on a pay-as-you-go plan. You can try it for free and then pay for the license. What's amazing is you can make appointments in your calendar, you can also view your calendar in week view (finally). You can also delegate tasks to people through tapping on a contact's name. Nice.
Read people, read. I'm excited for my first story appearing on RenoNoise.com. I covered a Holland Project show of Mt. Eerie, Motorbikes, No Kids and My Flag is on Fire.
Also, for the Reno News & Review, I interviewed Grammar Girl Mignon Fogarty for her newest book, The Grammar Devotional.
That's all folks. Read away!
I can't believe it, and, at the same time, I can absolutely believe it. Insight won an award! Our first! We won fifth place for Headline Presentation from the College Media Advisers. Total, there were 1281 entries from 77 schools. Click below to see the slideshow of all the winners.
Feminism Now. Anchoring the page and allowing the artwork to bring you in is a very wise decision. Solid all caps convey a feeling of strength (as does the bottom of the page placement). Bold red color creates energy and a force to be reckoned with and establishes a layer over the other elements on the page. Clean, no over embellishment.
You can see the actual spread here.